WASHINGTON D.C.– The Partnership for America’s Health Care Future (PAHCF), a diverse, patient-focused coalition committed to pragmatic solutions to strengthen our nation’s health care system, yesterday released the following statement on the Bipartisan Policy Center’s (BPC) newly unveiled “Statement of Common Understanding” on health care, which outlines bipartisan guiding principles for improving our health care system culled from shared elements in approaches outlined by Republicans and Democrats:
“Access to quality, affordable health care isn’t a partisan issue – it’s an American issue. Hundreds of millions of Americans across our country and of every political persuasion rely on our current system to keep themselves and their families healthy. As our nation continues to debate strategies for improving that system, BPC’s ‘Statement of Common Understanding’ is a timely reminder that there is more that unites us than divides us. Their principles represent a strong foundation as we work together to identify and implement pragmatic, commonsense solutions to our nation’s health care challenges,” said Erik Smith, a spokesman for the Partnership.
“As a Partnership, we strongly support BPC’s five principles:
1. All individuals should have meaningful and affordable public or private health insurance.
2. Health reform should be designed to avoid major disruption because many patients rely on today’s long-standing arrangements to get needed care.
3. Insurance markets should be stable, not endangered by premium increases due to adverse selection or insufficient pooling of risks.
4. Health reform should reduce excessive and unnecessary health care cost growth.
5. Reform policies must be politically and financially sustainable over the long term.
“While the results of a new poll commissioned by BPC make clear that there is no overwhelming consensus on the part of the American public on the best path forward for health care, these principles will serve as important guideposts as we build on what works with our current system and fix what doesn’t, so that it works for every American, no matter where they live or how much they earn.”
About the Partnership for America’s Health Care Future
The Partnership for America’s Health Care Future (PAHCF) is a coalition of the nation’s leading doctors, clinicians, community hospitals, health insurance providers, and biopharmaceutical companies committed to delivering affordability, expanding options, improving access, and fostering innovation in the U.S. health care system for all Americans. www.AmericasHealthCareFuture.org