POLL: Voter Vitals IV: National Tracking Poll
The fourth edition of Voter Vitals – a tracking poll conducted nationwide and in 2020 battleground states by Locust Street Group for the Partnership for America’s Health Care Future – finds “that health care remains one of the most important issues in the 2020 presidential election. During this critical time, the vast majority of voters prefer to build on our current health care system rather than create the public option. In fact, most voters are unwilling to pay any more in taxes or health care costs to create the public option.”
- Lowering COSTS (66%) is the top health care priority for Democratic, Swing, and Republican voters.
- More voters support FIXING what we have today (66% support) than the public option (49% support) and Medicare for All (42% support).
- 65% of voters would rather BUILD ON our current health care system than create the public option (35%).
- 79% of voters with health insurance coverage are SATISFIED with their coverage.
- 68% of voters are UNWILLING to pay any more for health care and 65% are UNWILLING to pay any more in taxes to create the public option.
- 63% of voters believe PRIVATE COVERAGE should continue to exist and have a role in our health care system.
THE BOTTOM LINE:
A majority of voters prefer building on what’s working, where Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance work together, instead of starting over with a one-size-fits-all new government-controlled health insurance system like the public option or Medicare for All. Let’s focus on solutions that provide high-quality, affordable coverage and care to all Americans, not a new government-controlled health insurance system we can’t afford.